Stream of Thought:
- Happy Spring! Send your pictures of spring time river fun to Ava@PartnersforCleanStreams.org. We love to see smilling faces!
- If everyone in Toledo picked up 5 pieces of trash a week, we would have picked up 1,435,000 pieces of trash in that one week. That's 74, 620,000 or 74.6 million pieces of trash in one year. Still don't think the small things add up?
- Buying vintage, lightly used clothes saves money and decreases the use of new resources.
- Saving streams by buying food? It doesn't get easier! Check out the Kroger Community Page to learn how you can earn money for PCS by using your Kroger Plus Card. Imagine that for everything you buy with your card, PCS earns a portion of the profits from Kroger. Its easy to sign up and even easier to use!
- The famous Walleye is a great swimmer. According to ODNR, a Walleye can swim up to 50 miles in one night.
- Install low-flow showerheads and faucet aerators to keep water pressure up while cutting usage of water in your home.
- There are 99 fish species currently living in the Maumee River.
- Carry a reusable bottle. Save money and avoid waste by filling your bottle with water or fountain drinks on the go!
- Save water by turning off the tap when brushing your teeth. You can save gallons each time!
- Turn off your computer and other electronics when not in use to save on your electric bills.
- Pack a waste free lunch! Use reusable containers to reduce your trash impact.
- Take a stand on straws! Next time you are out, tell your server to hold the straw.
- Don't run the tap when washing dishes in the sink. Instead, plug the drain and fill the sink with soapy water or use a wash basin. This will help reduce water usage when you have lots of dishes to do.
- BYOB- Bring Your Own Bag! Prepare for unplanned shopping by stashing a tote bag for trips to the grocery store, mall or other errands. Save landfills and plastic!
- The Maumee River, starting in Fort Wayne, IN, is the largest river emptying into any of the Great Lakes. It also is the most biologically productive.
Summer 2013 Internship posting
There is so much work to do that PCS will be hiring multiple interns for the summer months. The positions are meant to assist PCS in improving water quality for clean, clear and safe waterways and for the interns to gain experience in the environmental non-profit world. Here are brief descriptions of the multiple positions. For complete details, please view the PDF documents below. For questions, contact the PCS office.
Seasonal Outreach Internship (unpaid) This position is open to one college student or recent graduate with a passion for preserving nature. This unpaid internship will focus on outreach and education including fundraising, volunteer management, event planning, public education and additional "environmental non-profit responsibilities". This position is early June through September. Application deadline is May 24th.
Maumee Corps Internship (paid) This position is open to six to eight Juniors, Seniors, and/or Graduate students. The project is funded by an award PCS received from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to help fuel he economy and create seasonal/ part-time jobs. These interns will help conduct habitat restoration activities like herbicide treatments, removing invasive species, and possibly assisting in baseline habitat assessments. Work will take place within property owned by organizations we are partnering with such as The Olander Park System, the Boy Scouts of America, and the University of Toledo. Positions tentatively start as the end of the month, depending on our funder's approval, through the students' avaliability into September. Application deadline is May 24th.
2012 Annual Report is here!
The wait is over! The Partners for Clean Streams 2012 Annual Report is finally here! Check out the electronic version filled with awesome pictures, links, recaps of 2012 events, Camp Miakonda Restoration details, review of the financial state of PCS, membership information and much more. The Annual Report was designed by Frutchman Marketing Company. Currently, the Annual Report is viewable electronically here! Hard copies will be available soon by request. Until then, enjoy the memories of 2012 and help us make new memories in 2013!